Local Focus, Local Engagement
A Glimpse Into Affordable Housing In Your Region
Per Ride (Assistance Available)
Day-long Bike Ride
Registration, including ride dates and times, will be available in the spring.
At a Glance
What You'll Need
- Spend a day (9am-4pm) cycling around your city
- Visit 3 (or more) affordable housing organizations and learn about their work
- Hear from local leaders about how you can take action
- Join a team of regional individuals passionate about service and civic engagement
- One free Saturday or Sunday
- Time to dedicate to pre-ride cycling safety materials
- A bike!*
- A helmet!*
*Bike & Build will help you get these items if needed
Your $50 fee for this ride can be considered a donation to Bike & Build so we can continue designing and implementing an array of programming to impact affordable housing and engage people in the cause. In addition, the funds will enable Bike & Build to work with a Ride Coordinator to:
- Organize cycling safety basics trainings
- Coordinate with local affordable housing organizations
- Provide lunch
- Secure sufficient insurance coverage for the ride
Bike & Build offers financial assistance for those needing support for costs related to Community Rides. To learn more about financial assistance, click here.
Everyone is welcome to BYOBike, but if you don’t have one then you have a few options.
- Bike & Build will work with your Ride Coordinator to communicate with local bike shops about potential rentals
- Bike share! Most cities have bike share options (Citibike, Indego, Lyft, etc) that are likely suitable for these rides.
If you want to participate, Bike & Build will work with you to make sure you have the wheels to get you through the ride.
These rides will range from 10-25 miles and last about 6-8 hours. Each ride will include meetings with housing-related groups in your community, lunch stops, and water breaks. We’ll be giving you the tools to make sure you have a safe and impactful experience with us including cycling safety trainings, urban riding basics and assistance with finding a bike (if needed).
This will vary based on Community Ride location, but rides will occur some time between March and September. Ride Coordinators will organize rides on weekends in order to work around a traditional Monday-Friday work schedule.
They’ll be an all day affair, so you’ll need to block off those days and dedicate them to affordable housing!
Safety is our biggest priority whether it’s on the bike, on a build site, or however you are participating in our programs.
Bike & Build will ensure that all Community Ride participants, leaders, and organizational partners follow updated CDC guidelines to mitigate the risk of contracting and/or spreading COVID-19. We will continue to monitor the pandemic and provide up to date details for all of our participants and partners.