We are very excited for you to join us in 2023, and want to share a few details before you start your application for cross-country trips and Drift West.
1. This application is for both Rider and Trip Leader applicants. Rider spots are open on a first come, first served basis until trips are full. Leader applicants will be contacted to schedule an interview for the position. For more information on the Leadership role, click here.
2. Once you have applied to be a rider, you will be enrolled on a trip within 72 hours.
3. Our cross-country and regional trips are open to young adults between the ages of 18-29 at the time of their program start date.
4. There is a $75 registration fee due at the end of this online application, which secures your spot on a trip, covers the cost of your trip jersey, a sleeping pad, your Build Day T shirt, bike lights, and other items.
4. In order to participate in a Bike & Build program, you must carry personal medical insurance for the duration of your selected program.
5. For the safety of our trip participants and the residents of the communities we travel through, Bike & Build requires that all participants be vaccinated against COVID-19 (and boosted, if applicable) prior to their orientation date.
This application should take 30 minutes. If you have any questions about the application or our programs in general, please email us at [email protected].
Cori Callahan, Program Director (she/her)Casey Eisenreich, Director of Operations and Development (she/her)Lauren Hamilton, Director of Outreach and Communication (she/her)
1. Rider spots are open on a first come, first served basis until trips are full.
2. Once you have applied, you will be enrolled on a trip within 72 hours.
Jo Campo, Director of Operations and Development (she/her)Cori Callahan, Program Director (she/her)Lauren Hamilton, Director of Outreach and Communication (she/her)
Cycling across the country is a genuinely dangerous thing to do. Our website, brochures, Facebook page, Instagram account, and other promotional materials are written in a light-hearted fashion but do not underestimate the risks involved in taking part in this adventure. Individuals who have taken part in the past have been seriously injured and four riders have lost their life. Cycling is an inherently dangerous activity that can result in serious injury or death. Riding a bicycle from coast to coast over varying terrain, cityscapes, driver awareness levels, and types of road is by its very nature, audacious and venturesome. You should know, understand, and own responsibility for the risks inherent in what you are about to do.
The *optional* questions that follow help our team understand and assess the range of identities of the individuals who want to participate in Bike & Build. We ask about questions of diversity, recognizing that we have been a predominantly white, cis-gendered organization. We hope to ensure our organization is as diverse as the communities in which we build and visit throughout the country, and we believe this diversity needs to happen at every level of our organization. Your personal demographic information will remain internal to the organization or will be anonymized and aggregated for external reporting.
Bike & Build does not discriminate on the basis of gender identity or expression and wants to consider the needs of all our participants. Please consider this question optional and reach out to us if you'd like.
You may also apply as a rider, in the case that you're not selected as a leader. If you are not hired we won't tell your trip leaders or riders that you applied.
The Bike & Build experience is centered around building a cohort of young adults committed to service and civic engagement. The bike is used as a vehicle for learning about housing justice and advocating for affordable housing across the U.S. Every week, riders work with a housing organization to build, paint, participate in clean ups, and more.
Bike & Build strives to make our programs accessible to all, but recognize that the financial requirements may present barriers to participating. Therefore, we offer financial assistance, between $250-$1500, to those who qualify. In addition, we will work closely with recipients of these aid packages to meet their fundraising goals. Find out more about financial assistance.
The Inclusivity Grant offers full program funding for individuals who self identify as people of color, transgender and non-binary individuals, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, individuals with long-lasting or chronic illnesses, and others who feel they are under-represented. Find out more about our grant program.
Since you have applied to be a leader, the $75 application fee is waived!
Your application fee is refundable in certain situations. If you are placed on a wait list for a trip that is not your first choice and later removed from the wait list, we will refund your application fee. Application fees are refundable up until July 1st, 2023.
Gotta wait till pay day? That's fine! You can come back later anytime, by clicking the Save & Continue link below.
1901 S 9th St #410
Philadelphia, PA 19148
© 2020 Bike & Build. An Engenius Website.