July 14, 2016
Dear members of the Bike & Build community,
Late in the riding day yesterday, Central United States rider Anne Davis was struck and killed by a vehicle while cycling in Idaho. Anne was a 2016 graduate of the College of William & Mary, where she studied Sociology and Environmental Policy and was a self-described activist for environmental preservation. She brought a wealth of goodness to B&B, having completed service trips, been heavily involved in student organizations at William & Mary, and even previously rode in a charitable bike tour.
Rider Laura Stark was riding with Anne. She was also hit by the vehicle, and she remains in critical condition at Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center (EIRMC).
We have yet to receive a formal report from the authorities who responded to the scene. Our current understanding is that Anne and Laura were riding to Idaho Falls, ID, when they were struck by a vehicle. The authorities have not released information about the cause of the collision. We are still gathering information and will provide updates as they become available.
Over the next few days:
- Bike & Build will continue to be in communication with the Davis and Stark families and provide them with whatever support they need.
- No Bike & Build teams will be riding today (7/14).
- The Central US trip was scheduled to have two build days in Idaho Falls, on 7/14 and 7/15. Those days will be cancelled, and our hosts at First Presbyterian Church and the team at EIRMC are working to make grief counselors available to the CUS team. We are grateful for their support.
- Natalie Serle, Senior Program Director, and Gabe Ofiesh, a member of the Board of Directors, are flying to Idaho Falls today to be with CUS and attend to their needs.
- In the coming days, Bike & Build will work with the Davis family to ascertain plans for a memorial service and if CUS riders will attend. If so, Bike & Build will provide logistical support.
Moving forward, updates will be shared via our website (www.bikeandbuild.org) and other channels as appropriate. If you have particular questions, please email us at email@example.com. In the interest of directing our resources to best respond to the collision, we ask that you refrain from calling, and that you please have patience in hearing back from us. We will reply as quickly as possible.
Please keep the Davis and Stark families in your thoughts and prayers.
– The Staff and Board of Bike & Build